by Jenny Parnham
Below is a collection of ideas for things to do for Lent. Some of them are about taking up habits and practices, others are about giving things up. When we give things up (like chocolate) we are not saying those things are themselves bad, but that we are putting them aside for a time to learn more about ourselves and more about God. When we take up practices, we are not saying they are essential to life but that we are making them a discipline for a time – again to grow spiritually. So with that introduction here are a few ideas for Lent challenges this year. Please do add your comments and thoughts!
1. Refer to God as She not He
2. Remove all mirrors from your house
3. Give up make-up
4. Remove no hair from your body
5. Dance naked every day
6. Do not apologise (especially for existing)
7. Do not volunteer to do the washing up, cleaning or any other domestic chore at church, work or home if someone else is available to do it.
8. Don’t go shopping for non-essential items
9. Challenge every person who tries to gossip with you – especially if it’s about other women
10. Point out when men interrupt you or speak over you
11. Record every time you experience sexism and email it to all your male friends at the end of lent.
12. Challenge every instance of sexism
13. Give up beauty magazines
14. Stand in front of the mirror every day and tell yourself how great you are
15. Get excited about wrinkles and grey hairs – celebrate them with someone
16. Learn the names for the parts of your genitalia, what they look like and where they are
17. Call a female friend/family member you value every day and thank them
18. Prioritise your needs above the needs of others
19. Spend an hour a day doing something purely for yourself
20. Give up dieting